Estonia, 4800 GRT, loa 122m, 333 passengers Between 1958 and 1964, a series of no less than nineteen small passenger ships were built in East Germany for employment in the USSR passenger fleet. The government of the USSR frequently used these vessels for military or scientific purposes. However normally they were employed on domestic routes along the Russian coastline and in cruise service. In the seventies and eighties, Estonia (1960) was well known in Western Europe for her mostly two week cruises. Then, she quietly disappeared from the scene as she was transferred to cruising for Soviet citizens. Later, she was employed again on domestic routes under the name of Ekaterina II. She was scrapped in 1997.
23 photographs, made in 1984 during a ship visit in Rotterdam.