17.000 GRT, loa 176m, 250 crew, 911 passengers Union Castle took the Kenya Castle into service in 1952. She was the second vessel in a series of three, she and her sisters Rhodesia Castle and Braemar Castle were built in 1951-1952. She sailed for Union Castle on the round Africa service She was sold to Chandris Lines in 1967. Chandris had plans to operate her in Transatlantic service but after she had been refitted in 1968 this trade had been al but lost to the airplane…., so Chandris decided to use her as a cruise ship, at first from New York but later also in European waters and in the Caribbean. She became known for being hte first cruise ship with a television in every cabin. Starting from 1980, she was chartered for four years to Costa Crociere. In 1984 she returned to the Chandris fleet and sailed on cruise after cruise until 1996 when she was laid up at Elevsis bay near Piraeus.
19 photographs, 1980 a ship visit in Amsterdam.